Seasons In The Studio

Nature, and the things it inspires..........

Sunday, February 16, 2014

The smallest treasure

It's snowing today....again!!!  It's a great day to stay inside where it's warm!

Today I'm sharing a tiny baby dress made by my grandmother.  The design is simple, without set in sleeves, and has lovely embroidery.  I  particularly like the delicate crochet on the neck, sleeves and bottom of the gown.
There were dozens of these baby dresses from my grandmother's house, but I saved this one because it's a great example of her work.  The crocheted edging is in very fine thread, but could easily be adapted for use on a shawl or sweater.
Here is how to make the edging:

Begin with a starting chain of any multiple of 9 sts plus 8.

Row 1-  dc in 7th ch from hook, (dc in next st) twice, *ch 5, sk 5 sts, (dc in next st) three times* repeat from * to * to last 6 sts.  Ch 5 skip 5  sts, dc in last st, turn.

Row 2- *ch 3, sc in center of ch 5 sp, ch 3, dc, ch 5, sl st in 4th ch from hook (picot), ch 1, dc in same st as first dc*.  Repeat from * to * to last 3 sts, ch 3, sc 3 sts, sc, fasten off.

The picot is also a great place to add a bead if you like.   I used the same edging on a shawl pattern from Ravelry.  The pattern is here:  http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/a-classic-triangle-shawl
I put two of the edging pattern motifs in the bottom stitch of the shawl to turn the corner and start back up the other side.
I didn't notice until I looked at the close up of the edging that there is a mistake in the right side of the shawl.  It should be joined with a sc to the ch space in the row below.  Ah, well, just don't do what I did!!  It was made for a gift and I was in a hurry to finish it!  Hopefully the recipient didn't analyze my stitch work!
Check out the delicate embroidery.  Isn't the drawn thread work lovely?
I hope you like this piece as much as I do and please try out the edging on something!

I apologize for the photos having to be on the bottom of the page, but I couldn't get them in with the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment